Friday, April 3, 2009

Writing Series: Thoughts about Writing

Copyright 2009-All Rights Reserved

About Writing

"Writing is like going on a journey to find something one dreams of. It is like crossing a mangrove to reach the sea [going through] its entangled roots, its pools of briny water and its many layers of mud. It is like mapping a dark and rebellious land.

by Maryse Conde, a Guadeloupean writer of the African diaspora

"I live in my head a lot. Sometimes, when I'm in bed, I lie there in the dark and when I get a thought, I come into my den and put a few lines into paragraphs and let whatever grows out of that come. Eventually, I will have a page. And then, eventually, two pages. I write every day, as a matter of fact.

by Sidney Poitier, actor, from an interview in AARP magazine, September and October, 2008


"Fiction begins with a crisis, from which future action grows."

by Kathy Krajcous, Lighthouse Writing Tips

"If you allow yourself not to write when you don't want to, the writing will naturally bubble up, all the more powerfully in its own time.... Never force yourself to write. and never force yourself to write one thing when you feel the urge to write something else."

from Waterfall Journal #6, Hedgebrook writer, Susan Kiyo-Ito


No comments: