Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Meditations II: College & the Bottle

Copyright 2007

My freshman year was pivotal in starting me on the road to alcoholism. I began because I wanted to belong. Because I wanted to be seen as a sophisticate. Not a neophyte, a little southern girl from “the sticks” who really was not hip, slick and cool. I lied when an important date asked me if I drank. I didn’t. But after that night, I did. Rum and coke did me in that night and I ended up passed out in the john with my arms wrapped around the base of the toilet stool. At some point during the week that followed, I vowed to myself that I would “learn” how to drink without passing out. Which, eventually, I did. It took a while before I could get high without getting sick and passing out, but I managed to do it, thanks to those college weekends when my college buddies and I spent our Saturday nights devoted to rum and coke, seven and seven, boiler makers, and the like.


Cut to my sophomore year. The second semester I started drinking during the week on a regular basis. I cut classes, too, so my grades dropped way down from the three-point, B average, that I’d worked so hard to get during my freshman year. Up til then, I’d confined my partying to weekends and ONLY after I’d done all my studying and class assignments. Until that semester, I’d been solicitous of my grades and grade point average. But all that changed. I knew what I was doing when I began to drink like that. I knew I was screwing up, but I couldn’t pull out of screwing up.


When the semester was over and I went home for the summer, I was mortified to face my parents who were sacrificing to send me to a Big Ten college, Indiana University, so far away from home (Knoxville, Tennessee). They didn’t fuss at me or punish me and that made me feel that the two D’s and two C’s on my record were pasted on my forehead like some shameful brand for all the world to see. One of the D’s was in a class that was an introduction to what I thought would be my major, Journalism. What a disaster that semester was!


I think back now and remember a little bit of what was going on inside of me: the conflicts and pain and terror that I was choking back over my same sex attraction. I was trying to use alcohol to cover them, drown them, kill them off.


Anyway, I was so horrified and ashamed about my grades and that I’d let my parents down in their expectations for me to succeed that, from my junior year through my senior year, I rigorously disciplined myself to only drink to excess—“party”—on the weekends or during holidays away from school. I did drink a little bit sometimes during the week, but I never let myself go over the top because I had set a goal to get my grade point average back up to a three-point. Though I succeeded with my disciplined drinking, it only left me yearning for the weekends, for holidays, so I could drink all I wanted. My grades did go up, but the bottle was getting the better of me. Of course, that was a red flag, but I chose to ignore it. Besides, though I didn’t know it, I was already at the point that I couldn’t stop. Will power, I would learn later, was no match for alcohol.


By the time I was a senior, I had my grades way up. My last semester as an undergrad, I scored straight A’s in all my courses. I remember that Joann and some other girls in my dorm marveled at how I could make such good grades and “party” (read “drink to excess”) as much as I did. I was a functioning alcoholic already. But they didn’t know it and neither did I. After graduation, I went right into grad school. One of the benefits of having a single room was the privacy to stash my drink in the closet. The bottle was a fifth. And I never let it go below one-third empty before I dashed out to buy another. That was axiomatic.
----------------------------------------------------

16 comments:

Maria Morales said...

Adventures of a Maverick Author

“Meditations II: College and the Bottle”


While reading this short blog, I realized that many college students fall into the “partying stage”. Like the author, most students fall into the temptation of being an explorer in the “real college world”. Trying to be cool with friends by showing others that drinking and doing drugs, make many students forget about studying time for exams, writing essays, reading assignments, and even spending time on their own. There are times where students like the author are able to pull of school with an extraordinary grade point average (G.P.A.) while other students struggle in their courses not earning a great G.P.A. and do not have a chance to live the “college life”. Graduating with a 4.0 G.P.A. and having an alcohol problem is an amazing performance the author was able to accomplish. Not every person will accept and claim that he/she has a difficult time handling alcohol. The author is truly an amazing woman who has been able to overcome one of the most difficult obstacles a human being can accomplish.

Michelle said...

This blog is a detailed example of what college students suffer with daily. Their stuck in the middle whether they should fit in by drinking alcohol or should they focus on their studies. Also, the author provides a well organize ancedote.

Michelle said...

The blog "Meditations2: College & the Bottle" is a descriptive example of what college students suffer with daily. Their stuck in the middle whether they should fit in by drinking alcohol or should they focus on their studies. Also, the author provides a well organize ancedote.

Veronica said...

In the Blog "Meditations II: College @ the bottle", I realized that many poeple in college fall into the temptation of drinking. One of friends likes drinking plenty because you does not want to remember the present. I hope she also realizes that its bad for her just like you realized it was bad for uou.

~* Vero *~ said...

This is a big deal in your life and you got through it. Peer pressure to fit in is a big deal too. Going through college is hard enough without it but getting through only makes you stronger and this is a big deal to me to make me stronger in my situations.

leslie said...

As I read this story I realized that i was able to identify myself with the author. I don't drink or smoke but i do go to struggles to be in college. I as well as the author have days that I feel like I want to quit college, but I know i am better than that. The fact that she did not gave up made me feel stronger and encouraged me to overcome my obstacles.

Nicole said...

While reading this blog I was able to locate many similarities between myself, the author, and typical college students. Just like the author majority of college students try to fit in to the “in crowd” or, what we call being “cool”. They do this by drinking, and doing drugs. The days I know that I am “screwing up” makes we want to just give up on my dreams. Considering the fact that this author had a crucial alcoholic problem and still managed to graduate with a 4.0 grade point average encourages me. It takes a lot just to acknowledge the fact that one has a drinking problem. But once the dilemma has been clearly stated the next step is not to give up and believe that you can over come. This author has done just that, and it proves the determination that they have.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
primelady said...

My freshman year was challenging, I was faced with many difficult obstacles in life. I was also being peer pressure to drink or consume other types of drugs. I can relate to the blog when Ms. Lennon described about how she wanted to fit in her freshman year. That’s how I felt and how many other girls felt the same as well. I was confused about how I wanted to live my life. I did know for a fact that I wanted to make my parents proud and wanted to become a successful women in the future. My families love and support is what gave me the strength to overcome my difficult obstacles.

Bee said...

I can relate to this story because I knew girls that were in college and messed up because they drank and partied a lot. These girls were good honor students who seemed to have been sheltered back home so when they got here they seemed to go wild since their parents didn’t find out. Though in your story you got a second chance and some of my friends won’t because they were given a great opportunity and lost it and now cannot come back to school. I feel what you did to control your alcohol problem was good because a lot of people cannot do that. I just hope that my friends can control their alcohol problem as you did and somehow get back to school.

Peace and Love said...

When I read this I think of many things such as what we as college student face. As college students we want to party and meet new people which is not bad. In that process we tend to allow that scene to get the best of us or like in the blog get the best of her and then overcome the situation. A lot of the times we drop out because we cannot keep up with school and our alcohol problem. What makes me amazed about this situation is the fact that the author overcomes many issues with herself. Such as having the alcohol problem, having the same sex attraction, as well as dealing with school. Not many of us overcome that. I like the party scene, but I try not to let it get the best of me. Sometimes I worry because I feel that I will fail my courses, but when I read this it reminds me that it’s fine to party and if it gets the best of us, it is impossible to overcome it. Reading this made me realize that I will have those urges to quit school or worry what my parents might think of my grades, but to never give up and keep reaching my goals.

Marcela said...

When I read the blog “College and Bottle” I felt something deep inside me. I thought that it was a sad story. I did not go through this but I know someone that did. That person is my friend since sixth grade. When she started college she started feeling depressed and like others she just wanted to fit in the crowd. I tried to help her but she just thought she could handle it herself. She thought that she would never need help from anybody. Later on she realized that she couldn’t handle it herself and that she needed to ask someone for help. She did get help and now she is back in college and living a wonderful life with her family members.

samdizon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
This is me S.Acid said...

The author of this blog gave specific details on why she had to or wanted to attend A.A. meetings. Throughout my whole life, I have wanted to know what goes on during A.A. meetings. Now that I have read this blog, I have a good description on how things go, for example, how the people would respond when it comes to telling their part of story. From what I know, the meetings are a way to learn how to cope with the condition and how to continue to live once the coping is through. I am proud to say that people who attend A.A. meetings come together as one to better themselves on their decision making on alcohol addiction. For myself, I haven't been to an A.A. meeting, but deep inside, I know how it can be beneficial or valuable because I have a friend who used to attend A.A. meetings, and she is now aware of the environment where it used to take her "out of control". A.A. meetings not only help people but it shows them that they are not struggling alone.

samdizon said...

I decided to comment this blog because I am able to relate to it very much. I had the same experience for my first year of college as well. Not only within the college life and the pressure but also because I had a certain similar crush. I have liked her very much even until this day. It isn’t as hard as I would have thought about being open to people what is hard is the actual relationship with her. Reading this blog reminded me a lot of myself it was also very interesting.