Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Retrospective Series-1: Random Poems

Copyright 1982-All Rights Reserved

Note: These are old poems. You can tell by the dates.

Relocating to L.A.


for the sake of health

birds migrate to warm, hospitable climates.

I took a lesson

and flew.



A Dose of Advice



When I announced:

I'm easin on down the road


They warned me:

chile, you better not go to L.A.

them folks there just TOO cold in that hot climate.


They scoffed:

going where? for what?

nothin there but country folks thinkin they city-slick.


They chided:

city of angels? you think you goin to heaven or somethin?

lemme tell you ain't no angels crazy enough to fly out there

onliest thing flyin is them people high on coke

best to keep your feet on this here ground

Sides, I don't see no wings sproutin from your back.


Finally, I took my own advice

went out and bought some earplugs.

4 comments:

itsmsbrightside said...

L.A. Observations2: Poems


The First poem which is Relocating to L.A. is very clever. I consider the poem clever because I the like the way how the author uses realistic terms; such as nature. To my understanding, the author compares herself with nature and specifically uses birds as an example. Birds, such as swallows migrate to warmer areas to survive; as where the author takes a “lesson” and migrates from where she is dwelling for her own well being & health.
The second poem, A dose of Advice obtains a little mockery. I think the author uses mockery towards the individuals who try to give her “a dose of advice.” Where as the advice given to the author is not worth hearing and her time, that is why she follows her own dose of advice and ends the poem with a clever note, “I took my own advice, went out and bought some earplugs.” The ending statement is more of a declaration of independence the author has gained.
-itsmsbrightside

Michelle said...

I liked the way the author connectd the two poems together. In the first poem it describes how she wants to fly to LA and the second poem gives scenarios from people tha believes se shouldn't go to LA. I like how the author didn't let anyone influence her decision about going to LA. Even though it was a poem that I had read; I seen it has a short story.

rlanding said...

A Dose of Advise reminds me of how there are people who don’t want you to do certain things because they envy you and want to do things your doing but they don’t and take it out on you. Just like some of the people in the church I’m in when I told them I was going to a catholic college and they started asking why I was going to catholic school as if I was going to convert or something. But I know the reasons why I am going to that school just like you knew why you wanted to come to Los Angeles.

Beauty said...

A Dose of Advice
What I liked about, “A Dose of Advice” is that I related to the poem. The character in the poem wants to move to Los Angeles no matter the consequence. In the past, I was in a similar situation where I wanted to do something. I had other people giving me advice on the consequences of my choices. I listened to myself and took my own advice just like the character in the story.